Last night, it was reported that President Trump is seriously considering putting an end to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) – a program that is an unqualified success, providing new opportunities and futures for nearly 800,000 Dreamers who live, study, and work in America. They are students, educators, small business owners, healthcare workers, and so many others contributing to their families, communities, and to the country they call home.
In addition, we see a coordinated assault on DACA, led by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and hardline state AGs in nine other states and U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who are also advocating to end the program.
Instead of offering an immigration process that will allow a path to citizenship so that DREAMers can continue to contribute to our communities and economy, hardliners on a crusade against immigrant families are threatening to strip their legal status away.
All of our voices are needed now to counter the vicious hate being pushed by these extremists.
For the past 8 months, the Trump Administration has used DACAmented educators and students as pawns in promoting their white supremacist agenda. Our current immigration system doesn’t reflect our American values.
- Show your solidarity and sign the #DefendDACA pledge
- Raise your voice on social media with #DefendDACA. Here are some sample tweets:
- As a public education ally I will continue to work so that ALL students can reach their dreams! #DefendDACAhttp://educationvotes.nea.org/daca/
- “We are Dreamers, we work hard, we contribute, we are devoted to this country.”http://educationvotes.nea.org/2016/12/15/undocumented-educator-realizes-dream-teach-daca/#DefendDACA
- Our voices are needed NOW to counter the hateful attacks on our students, teachers & community. #DefendDACA!http://educationvotes.nea.org/daca
- Get informed and share resources with DACA-eligible students
Please stay in touch and informed at www.NEAEdJustice.org.