|6/13/2014||Regular pay plus extra checks|
St Mary’s Hospital renewed their contract with Aetna on 10/01/2012. In doing so, St. Mary’s has combined all their facilities under their main tax id. This is causing billing and processing issues, especially for those that visit the Walk-in-Center. Aetna has put in place a workflow where their processors are to identify if the claim is urgent care, emergency care, or routine outpatient services and will apply the applicable benefit.
Our Aetna representative has pulled a report to see if any of our members have been negatively impacted and will have their claims reprocessed accordingly. Going forward this issue should be resolved; if there are any outliers please email Melissa at the BOE.
2013 Legislative Proposed Plans Eliminate State Contribution To Retiree Health Plan – Be Ready For Action!
- The Governor’s budget proposal will eliminate the State’s contribution to the Health Fund resulting in savings to the State of over $70 million over two years.
- The reduction in the State’s contribution to the Health Fund will negatively affect its long-term solvency. Active and retired teachers have been paying into the Health Fund with the understanding that it will be there for them when they retire.
- $3,250.00 If you have single insurance coverage
- $6,450.00 If you have family insurance coverage.
The Connecticut Education Association (CEA) announced in January that it has created the “Sandy Hook Memorial and Scholarship Fund” within the organization’s non-profit arm, the Connecticut Education Foundation (CEF).
CEA has set a fund raising goal of at least $1 million. A portion of the gifts collected will be donated to the Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund at the University of Connecticut. In addition to contributing to the UConn Scholarship Fund, CEA has commissioned sculptor Marilyn Parkinson Thrall to create a bronze sculpture memorializing the heroism and sacrifice that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The CEA plan is to unveil the sculpture to mark the first anniversary of the mass shooting at the school.
According to CEA President Sheila Cohen, “The monument will remember the happy memories and the innocent lives of the children lost and the teachers committed to educating them. It will be a place of comfort for friends, family members, the education community, and the nation, to help them heal from this unimaginable tragedy.”
The Naugatuck Teachers’ League Representative Council has decided to do a league wide collection throughout the entire month of March. As an incentive to maximize our contribution, the NTL will match the collections taken by its membership dollar for dollar up to $3,000.
We ask that each building representative collect funds from their respective membership through out the entire month of March. If members wish to write checks they may make them out to the NTL and note Sandy Hook on the memo line.
All collections would then need to be given to the league treasurer by no later than April 2, 2013. A single check with a combination of the league wide collection and the NTL matching funds will then be given to the CEA’s Connecticut Education Foundation.
To view samples of Marilyn Parkinson Thrall’s work please follow this link http://sculpturesbythrall.com/index.html .
Let’s “Guide the Way” for all teachers and inspire them to contribute to this appropriate gesture to honor those lives lost.
This is a copy of the letter given to all NTL members with their cards at the beginning of the 2012-2013 School year
To returning members, welcome back. To those members new to the district, welcome to Naugatuck. I hope that each of you had an opportunity to get some much needed time to rest, relax and enjoy your family and friends.
Here are some things to be mindful of as the new school year begins:
- As you know, the BOE switched insurance carriers from Cigna to Aetna. Only a handful of members switched to the Health Savings Account (HSA), most kept the PPO. In June, each of you should have received two packets providing information about insurance choices. Be aware that changes have happened in co-pays and charges for services under the PPO option. You can contact Melissa Massicote for specific information.
- HSA will be the only insurance option as of January 1st. You must set up an account at Naugatuck Savings Bank or Naugatuck Valley Savings and Loan by October 31st.
- Melissa Massicotte will be providing HSA information to each NTL member.
- On Friday, August 31st we will receive our first paychecks. We will receive our second paychecks on Friday, September 7th, only one week later. Then, we will be on the every- other-week cycle, in keeping with our contract.
- This year will mark the return to monthly Naugatuck Teachers League Representative Council Meetings being held on a rotating basis throughout the district. A schedule will be provided to all building reps and on our website. We hope to encourage members to attend at least one meeting a year.
- The NTL will be sponsoring a welcome back social on Friday, October 5th at 4:00 PM. More information will follow.
There was a great deal of political debate on education reform during the last legislative session. Rest assured, that the debate on reform will continue in Hartford. We must be diligent in our attention to this debate. Please be mindful that all decisions that affect education, students and teachers are made in the political arena. Look at flyers that are being mailed to voters in various districts. The incumbents mention the highlights of the past legislative session. Education is one of their highlights. As we are well aware, education must adapt and change to be ready for the challenges of tomorrow. So that we can all participate in the forthcoming debate, the NTL will provide up-to-date information to all of its members. To facilitate this process, Sara Scrofani, our webmaster, is creating a personal member email list that we can use for the dissemination of information. Look for a link in an upcoming school email that will allow you to register with your personal email address.
On a solemn note, I would ask you to take a moment during your day to remember one of our colleagues from the previous year. MaryEllen Marques taught at Maple Hill School until her untimely passing. After reading the tribute in the newspaper it was clear that she put her heart and soul into everything. She will be missed.
I hope that your school year gets off to a great start and is filled with excitement and accomplishment!
You should have received a letter from the BOE with the linked attachment.
Dear Naugatuck Board of Education Teacher:
I am writing to advise you of some changes to your current Aetna insurance policy. Based upon the current contract between the Naugatuck Teachers’ League and the Naugatuck Board of Education, these plan changes are expected to become effective September 1, 2012.
I have attached a benefit outline that captures the new changes in your coverage.
If you have any questions, please contact me at 203-720-5265 or firstname.lastname@example.org.